What To Do About Spiders In Your Chicago Home
March 15, 2023
A fear of spiders is one of the most common phobias humans have, and it's easy to understand why. These arachnids come in various colors and sizes with different behaviors and habits. The only thing that never changes is their eight legs, multiple eyes, spinnerets, and fangs for injecting their prey with venom. Most spider venom is non-lethal to humans, but some species possess venom that can present harmful reactions when bitten. Remove spiders and other pests from your home with certified pest control in Chicago with the assistance of Sleep Tight Pest Extermination. We'll help you identify spiders around your home, their habits and behaviors, and natural prevention tips that deter spiders and other pests away from your home.
Habits And Behaviors Of Common Spiders
One trait that all spiders share is their independence. While you can find multiple spiders in one area, they hunt and fend for themselves rather than working as a group, such as ants or bees. The most important thing about spiders is that their diet consists of bugs like mosquitoes, moths, flies, and sometimes smaller spiders. Even though they can produce a certain degree of fear in some people, spiders are highly beneficial for removing other pests from around your garden and home.
The most common types of spiders to invade your Chicago home are:
- Jumping spiders: This species prefers sunshine and are the least likely to infest your home. They are excellent hunters with swift reflexes that allow them to jump to catch their prey.
- Orb-weaver spiders: Orb-weavers build classic circular webs that catch many insects for consumption, making them the most beneficial for gardeners and farmers looking for natural pest control.
- Black widow spiders: The infamous black widow prefers temperatures of 70 degrees or higher, making them inactive during the winter. Their webs are irregularly shaped and built close to the ground.
- Brown recluse spiders: These spiders also spin their webs irregularly, but in forgotten or abandoned spaces because they use it for a retreat rather than to catch prey.
If you spot signs of spiders in your home, proceed with caution and contact a pest control company near you.
Some Spiders Are More Dangerous Than Others
The two main spiders in Chicago you don't want lurking around in dark corners of your home are the brown recluse and the black widow. The black widow is easily identifiable by its black coloring with a red hourglass shape on its abdomen. Females are typically larger and are sometimes lighter in color, which is helpful to know since they bite humans more than males, especially after laying eggs. Symptoms of bites are fever, nausea, sweating, and increased blood pressure. Bites can be fatal without seeking prompt medical attention.
The brown recluse is the perfect name for this spider since it prefers warm, dark, secluded hiding spots. Bites from a brown recluse happen when unsuspecting people reach into potential hiding spots and find more than they bargained for. Brown recluse bites can produce a stinging sensation that could become extremely painful within six to eight hours. We recommend seeking immediate medical attention after experiencing a brown recluse bite. While we don't advise trying to capture the spider yourself, a photo could help with identification for proper treatment.
Six Simple And Natural Spider Prevention Tips
Spider prevention starts with insect prevention. If you're noticing more spiders around your Chicago home, chances are there's an underlying pest infestation that provides food sources and attracts spiders to your home in search of food.
We recommend following these proven methods for spider control in Chicago:
- Reduce as much clutter as possible from your yard and inside your home, paying particular attention to your storage areas.
- Maintain your yard. Keep the grass cut short and cut back shrubs and bushes from your home's exterior.
- Quickly repair leaky pipes, air conditioners, and fixtures to avoid providing spiders and insect prey with a water source.
- Make sure to regularly inspect the exterior of your home, sealing any openings you discover.
- Inspect your doors and windows, ensuring screens and weatherstripping are intact.
- Change any white lights to yellow or LEDs for less insect activity.
Fighting two pest infestations on your own can lead to disastrous consequences. Don't spend all your time, money, and energy attempting pest removal. Contact the experts at Sleep Tight Pest Extermination for additional assistance.
Pro Pest Control Makes For The Best Spider Control
Professional pest control incorporates an Integrated Pest Management solution that removes spiders, insects, and other pests from your home while keeping you and your family safe. At Sleep Tight Pest Extermination, we want to ensure that you'll never lose sleep due to the fear of spiders invading your home and keeping you awake. Contact us to inspect your property at no charge to you and learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Chicago.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Came in did an amazing job, professional and open minded toward my situation definitely recommend these guys"
Schedule Your Free Pest Control Consultation Today(312) 448-9228
Our team saves you time and sanity with safe and effective pest treatments. Give us a call today for the best eco-friendly pest control in Chicago.