How To Keep Cockroaches Out Of Your Chicago Home
August 15, 2022
Oriental, American, and German cockroaches are the three most common roach species in the Chicago area.
No matter what species you are dealing with, all of them are dangerous. Cockroaches can spread diseases, contaminate food, and even damage property, which is not something any Chicago homeowner wants to deal with.
Prevention is vital to keeping these dangerous pests away and your family safe. Keep reading to learn how you can prevent cockroach infestations and the problems they bring. Plus, hear how professionals can be of assistance.
What Do Cockroaches Like?
There are several things that cockroaches love and that might attract them to your home. These factors include:
- Clutter: A cluttered home makes it easier for cockroaches to hide and makes it more difficult for the homeowner to clean, making it likely food debris will attract these pests.
- Water: Like other pests, cockroaches need water to survive. Homes with high moisture levels can provide cockroaches with adequate water.
- Food: Cockroaches are not picky in the least. They will eat everything from food to glue to grease to waste.
In general, an excellent place to start in the fight against these pests is with a deep cleaning. Cleaning should include often forgotten places like under heavy appliances and in the backs of cupboards and pantries. Cockroaches can survive off the smallest crumbs, so proper food storage is a must. Keep reading to learn more in-depth prevention tips.
How To Keep Cockroaches Out
Sealing off potential entry points is essential to keeping cockroaches out of your house. To do this, try the following:
- Inspect the foundation and exterior walls of your home for cracks, holes, and gaps that these pests can squeeze through.
- Install screens, weatherstripping, and door sweeps on windows and doors.
- Use covers over vents and drains.
- Fill in any other gaps around window and door frames or where utility lines and pipes enter your house.
Removing entry points is only half the battle when it comes to cockroaches. Below are several tips as to how you can make your home less desirable to these pests.
- Address Moisture Issues:
- Fix any leaking pipes or faucets.
- Remove water-damaged wood.
- Clear out gutters.
- Remove organic debris such as leaf piles, grass cuttings, and excess foliage.
- Use dehumidifiers in your home and make sure the bathroom and kitchen have proper ventilation.
- Remove Food Access:
- Store dry goods in airtight containers and produce in the refrigerator.
- Clean up any food debris, including grease.
- Vacuum regularly, especially in eating areas.
- Don’t leave pet food or dirty dishes out overnight.
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Remove Harborage Areas:
- Declutter your home regularly, making sure it is organized and easy to clean.
If you have an active cockroach infestation, the tips above will not help remove them. To effectively eliminate these pests from your home, you should consider the benefits of professional pest control in Chicago.
What To Do About Cockroaches
Chicago residents should contact Sleep Tight Extermination if there are signs of a cockroach infestation. Professional assistance is the best form of cockroach control because these pests are challenging to eliminate. Not only can cockroaches live for up to a week without their head, but they are increasingly more resistant to traditional pesticides. It takes expert knowledge and skill to remove cockroaches from a property safely.
We offer several pest control options that guarantee a pest-free home. To learn more, give us a call at Sleep Tight Extermination!
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Best extermination company I’ve hired they work fast, have great prices and exceptional customer service. Highly recommend this company for the future."
Schedule Your Free Pest Control Consultation Today(312) 448-9228
Our team saves you time and sanity with safe and effective pest treatments. Give us a call today for the best eco-friendly pest control in Chicago.