Are The Mosquitoes In Chicago Dangerous?
July 15, 2022
Chicago is a great place to live, but it's not without its share of pests. Mosquitoes are one of the biggest problems in Chicago, and they can carry some dangerous diseases. Sleep Tight Extermination will cover all of the dangers mosquitoes pose to Chicago residents and what you can do when they bite you. We will also provide information on how to get rid of them for good with professional Chicago pest control services.
Mosquitoes & Dangerous Diseases
Mosquitoes are a known nuisance due to their stings and extremely itchy bites. However, they can also be downright dangerous due to the several serious diseases mosquitoes carry. Some of these include:
- Malaria: This disease is caused by a single-celled parasite transmitted by mosquitoes. It can cause fever, chills, and flu-like symptoms. In severe cases, it can lead to organ failure and death.
- Zika virus: It is the Aedes aegypti mosquito that primarily spreads this disease. Zika can cause birth defects in babies and neurological problems in adults.
- West Nile virus: The Culex mosquito transmits this virus. West Nile can cause fever, headaches, and body aches. In severe cases, it can lead to paralysis or even death.
- Encephalitis: This disease causes brain inflammation, and several different types of mosquitoes can transmit it. Symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, and vomiting. In severe cases, it can lead to seizures or coma.
Although these diseases are rare in Chicago, it's still important to be aware of the dangers that mosquitoes can pose. If a mosquito bites you, wash the area with soap and water. You can also apply an antiseptic or anti-itch cream to help relieve the itchiness.
If you have a mosquito problem in your Chicago home, contact Sleep Tight Extermination today. We will happily provide you with a free quote for our professional Chicago pest control services. We can help you get rid of mosquitoes and keep your family safe.
Mosquito Spit Disturbs Human Immune Cells For Days
It's not just the itchy, red bumps that make mosquito bites so annoying. Scientists have found that the saliva of these insects can actually disturb human immune cells for days after a bite.
Researchers from the Baylor College of Medicine made this disturbing discovery while studying how mosquitoes transmit diseases like malaria and West Nile virus. They found that the saliva of these insects contains a protein that can prevent human immune cells from doing their job properly. As a result, the body is unable to mount an effective response to the bite, allowing the mosquito to transmit disease.
While more research is needed, this discovery could lead to new ways to prevent mosquito-borne diseases. In the meantime, take precautions against these pests by using mosquito repellent and wearing long sleeves and pants outdoors.
You can also try some natural ways to repel mosquitoes in the yard. Some of the best plants to deter mosquitoes are marigolds, lemongrass, catnip, and lavender, as they emit scents mosquitoes hate.
When A Mosquito Bites!
When a mosquito bites you, it's important to take the following steps:
- Wash the area with soap and water.
- Apply an antiseptic or anti-itch cream to help relieve the itchiness.
- Contact a doctor immediately if you have a reaction or experience symptoms such as fever, headaches, or body aches.
Mosquito bites can be more than just annoying; they can also be dangerous. Be sure to take precautions against these pests when spending time outdoors.
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is to enlist help from a professional like Sleep Tight Extermination. We will be happy to provide you with a free quote for our professional Chicago home pest control services.
Mosquito Control Services Made Easy In Chicago
If you have a mosquito problem in your home, contact Sleep Tight Extermination today. We will provide tips on how to prevent mosquito breeding on your property. By following our advice, you can keep your Chicago home mosquito-free. Contact us today!
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Came in did an amazing job, professional and open minded toward my situation definitely recommend these guys"
Schedule Your Free Pest Control Consultation Today(312) 448-9228
Our team saves you time and sanity with safe and effective pest treatments. Give us a call today for the best eco-friendly pest control in Chicago.